Duke University

Eruditio et Religio

Duke University at a glance

duke university
2138 Campus Drive,
Durham, NC 27708, USA

(919) 684-8111
National Ranking:

At a Glance
Student Population: 15,467
Undergraduate Population: 6,646
Student to Faculty ratio: 7
Total Annual Cost $63,999
In-State Tuition: $47,243
Out-of-State Tuition $47,243
Percent on Financial Aid: 64%
Average Grant Aid Received $38,662
Acceptance rate: 13%
in Private Colleges
#29 in Research Universities
#10 in the Midwest region

General Information

Duke University, a private research university, is located in the beautiful Durham, North Carolina in the United States. It was founded in 1838 by James Buchanan Duke who at that time, was a tobacco and electric power industrialist. It was in 1924 after the death of his father, Washington Duke, in which the name of the institution officially became “Duke University”.

Spanning over an area of 8,600 acres or 35 km2 , Duke University offers three campuses in Durham and an marine lab in Beaufort on top of it. One thing that people might notice about Duke University’s campus, is its great design. The design was created by Julian Abele - an architect who combined Gothic style architecture with a 210 foot or 64m Duke Chapel at the center of the campus’ highest point.

Another thing that many people know Duke University of, is its’ wealth and amount of expenditures. Duke University is the 7th wealthiest private university in United States, with a reported $11.4 billion in cash and investments as of 2014. Duke University is also the seventh largest in terms of expenditures spent on research, at $1.037 billion US dollars. Moreover, amongst national universities, Duke University ranks at the top five.

Additionally, Duke University is known for its affiliate with numerous award winners. Specifically, ten nobel laureates and three Turing Award winners are graduates of Duke University.

Student Life

At Duke, 82 percent of the students live in college-owned, -operated, or -affiliated housing. The remaining 18 percent of students live off campus and gender distribution comprise of 50.1% male and 49.9% female. Duke's sports teams compete in the Atlantic Coast Conference but moreover, its’ basketball team is renowned for having won five NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championships - and this was a very recent in 2015.

Duke Athletics

Duke's sports teams compete in the Atlantic Coast Conference but moreover, its’ basketball team is renowned for having won five NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championships - and this was a very recent in 2015.

Duke University’s athletics teams, known as the “Blue Devils,” is part of the the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and has competed in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) for all sports since the season of 1953–1954.

Men's sports include: baseball, basketball, cross country, fencing, football, golf, lacrosse, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field and wrestling

Women's sports include: basketball, cross country, fencing, field hockey, golf, lacrosse, rowing, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field and volleyball. Additionally, Duke University has set out a plan to add softball as its 27th varsity sport by the Spring of 2018.

Duke University’s sports teams have won many championships over the past several years. Its women's golf team has won six (1999, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2014), its men's basketball team won five championships (1991,1992, 2001, 2010, and 2015), the men's lacrosse team won three (2010, 2013, and 2014), and the men's soccer (1986) and women's tennis (2009) teams won one each, totaling 16 championships in the NCAA.

Duke national champions NCAA

Duke Costs and Financial Aid

More than half of Duke University’s undergraduate students are receiving financial aid and though 64% of students receive financial aid (a somewhat lower rate compared to other universities), it is never a bad idea to ask whether you can apply for any financial aid programs - just contact https://financialaid.duke.edu/.

If you decide to apply to Duke University or need to submit a letter of request of financial aid, make sure you ask for help from EssayPlus on all essays or letters before submission. This may be your only chance to get your application noticed and your only chance to get in.

Below is the average fees you would be expecting, for one academic year at Duke:

In-state tuition and fees$47,243 (2015-16)
Out-of-state tuition and fees$46,243 (2015-16)
Financial Aid64% (2015-16)

essay plus facebookessay plus twitteressay plus google plusessay plus instagram